Thursday, July 24, 2014

Repurposing Magazines: Cute Bracelet

Hello! Somehow I got wrangled into a year subscription of a magazine and I don't think I've read one issue. If you're like me and have a million magazines hanging around, I've got some repurposing tutorials for you! This first one is going to be making beads out of magazine pages and turning them into a bracelet.

What you need:
  • Magazines
  • Scissors
  • Elmer's glue
  • Hot Glue
  • Toothpick
  • Sturdy String (I used Embroidery Thread)
  • Clasps





Step 1:
Cut or tear a few sheets of magazines into approx. 1" thick strips (I found that folding and then tearing went faster and easier for me). The strips don't have to be exactly the same size. Cut the length of the strips in half




Step 2:
Take one strip and start rolling it around the toothpick. When you get about
halfway through, spread some Elmer's on the inside of the strip and continue to roll until you come to the end. Seal the end to the "bead" with more Elmer's and let it dry


Step 3: Continue step 2 until you have enough beads to go around your wrist (If you want to make a necklace, you can use the same technique you just need more beads.





Step 4: Tie one of the clasps onto your string. I used a little hot glue on the knots to keep them from unraveling. Start threading beads onto your string until you
have the desired length. Tie on the other clasp and add some hot glue to the knot to keep from unraveling. Snip the excess string and voila! Pretty bracelet or necklace!









 Be sure to save any extra strips you have because you can use them in our next Repurposing Magazines tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment