Wednesday, September 9, 2015

World Teacher Day

Growing up, I had a lot of great teachers. Some because they were kind, some because they were well informed, and some because they taught me quality life lessons. But there's one who stands out among the rest. 

I was always a language-focused child. I was good with grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and reading. I took French classes from a relatively young age, and it always came easily to me. I was very lucky in that way. 

In high school, I had one teacher who taught me more than language skills- he helped me understand the importance of personal voice. Not just in writing, but in every aspect of creation and life. That the way I feel is important and worth nurturing. 

When I think back and try to imagine where my blogging road began, I can clearly trace it to a single day, where I learned that writing isn't about structure and syntax. It's about the uniqueness of every person's voice, and the power that resides within. Because of him, I sit here today, writing this blog post. He didn't show me the path to being a millionaire or how to ace the SATs, but he did lead me to something I love to do, in the outlet I choose to use it. 

Without that one teacher, I could be very different person today. And I don't want to be. 

Think about your teachers you had, and the fond memories you made with them. Remember that your children will grow up to have similar memories , and they might not get a chance to thank their teachers as adults. Remember that you can pay it forward to those teachers, for the ones you had that you appreciate. 

World Teacher Appreciation Day is October 5. Even if all you can do is thank your child's teacher, don't let it go by unnoticed. However, if you want to do more, we've compiled a list of awesome teacher appreciation gifts that are handmade with love, easy to order, fantastic quality, and full of heart. 

First up, we have the ever-fabulous Weil'd Hair and Accessories. She can create something in pretty much any theme you can think of, with quality materials and gorgeous color schemes. Here are a few examples, but really, the sky is the limit on these.





If the teachers in your life cherish their classroom decor, Adore by Nat can help you! She has beautiful paper crafts of all sorts, but such an adorable banner would be perfect for upbeat, spirited classrooms. 


Handmade Moms LLC always has super cute school themed stuff, and this is no different. Everything in this shop is made by a pair of moms, so you know they're good at teacher appreciation. Check out all the options they have available; from wreaths to clip boards!


Similarly, Crafting Memories has adorable memo boards that are great for the classroom, office, or home! Everyone needs somewhere to store important papers or memorable photos, and this is an effective and fun way to do it!


lf you've got special needs teachers in your life, Bayou Vue (formerly Camille's Charms) has got you covered. These autism awareness earrings will surely touch the heart of any special needs teacher, and let them show off their pride in their students. 


Pelhuaz has it on lock for any female teacher. From simple, universal pieces to specifically themed items, she's got it all. Peruse her shop and find something beautiful to give to a teacher with a beautiful soul. 




I know this has all been a huge lovefest for teachers, but let's look at a hard fact for a second- kids are gross. They bring countless germs, runny noses, and dirt from who knows where into a room where an adult has to corral them all.  By the end of the day, I'm sure teachers want few things more than a shower to wash it all off. 

Thankfully, Shabby Chic Soap Company is here for them. She has many amazing themed soaps, but this apple soap is adorably appropriate and, I promise you, it smells amazing.


On the same note, it must be very trying to talk all day long. Whether it's telling little ones not to eat something weird, asking semi-little ones where their homework is, or trying to get through to big kids, it must never end. I can't imagine how chapped they must feel by the end of the day. 

Nerdtastic was thoughtful enough to bring up that point, and offered her lip balms for this list. As a small gift or in a gift basket, teachers will appreciate you thinking about what they go through all day long.


BeeBee and Jack and The Purple Monkey both have great gifts for teachers in cooler climates. Whether they like hot tea or coffee, cup cozies from The Purple Monkey are a great option! At only $6 shipped, you could get one of those and the absolutely stunning scale cowl from BeeBee and Jack. I bet if you asked them reeeeeeeally nicely, they'd work together and make you a matching set ;)



Finally, I thought I'd thrown in one of my own creations this time. This is a Charlotte City Tote, and she's a great size. Perfect for carrying all kinds of stuff, I can customize this bag to fit your needs, and will be adding more styles very soon! You can see more like it at Down with Plumes


So don't forget- October 5 is the day, worldwide, to show teachers how much you appreciate them. 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful article! Teachers play important roles to mold our children. And they have a lot of patience, I'd say. To all teachers out there, Thank YOU!
    Off to share now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Teachers are so important, and I fear too many feel underappreciated. I won't be missing Teacher Day, that's for sure ;)

      Delete