Thursday, July 3, 2014

Because Sometimes Mommy Needs a Break...


Do you have those days where you feel like you’ve been running around ALL day and have accomplished NOTHING?? I do. A LOT. And it’s not for lack of trying that is for sure. Sometimes I’ll start the dishes only to get one plate in before I’m getting tugged on “Mom, mom, mom” “Uuuuup!”. My son loves to help, but mostly he wants to get up on the counter and get into the cupboards because that’s where we hide things from him such as his bubbles, chalk, binky, etc. and telling him that he can’t have his binky because it’s not bedtime or he can’t have his chalk because it’s raining outside is just asking for a melt down.



Sometimes you just need a break to take a couple of deep breaths, relax, get your head refocused, and regroup. With little ones, these chances are few and far between but you have to take the chance when you get it. Don’t laugh, I take my time-outs in the bathroom. It’s the only place in my house I can get a few minutes of peace because nobody wants to interrupt mommy while she’s going potty. You can even make sound effects while you’re in there to make it seem like you’re actually going. I pour water in the toilet and drop in a couple of leftover robin egg malted milk balls from easter for my effects.



Before you go and take your little breather, you should make sure you little one can’t get into any trouble while you’re in your happy place. There’s nothing worse then emerging from your Zen garden to find your child has painted the TV with their PB&J or they have drawn you a beautiful picture in that library book that is due back today. If there’s nothing that can hurt your child or for them to get into, barricade them in their room. Luckily J is little enough that he can’t climb over the baby gate, so I put that in the door to keep him from running buckwild through our apartment. Another thing I do is put J in his high chair with some crayons and a coloring book to keep him occupied for a few minutes. I made the mistake once of letting him color outside of his highchair and my walls have a lovely drawing in royal blue on them.

I find that after finishing one of my breaks I’m a lot calmer, more clear-headed and less likely to snap at my child over something insignificant. People who work outside the home get mandatory 15 minute breaks, so why shouldn’t stay-at-home moms? Everyone deserves 15 minutes to themselves where they can read a book, do their nails, zone out, take a quick nap or whatever you feel like doing. Most of the time I find myself zoning out or daydreaming to get a break from reality. It’s hard work being a mom and even supermoms need a break every once in a while. It’s not only good for you, it’s good for you kids too. I find myself yelling a lot less and getting a lot less frustrated over little things. Happy mommy= Happy family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment