Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Featured Crafter- Kyzu Dolls


Welcome again, my craft-loving friends! Here I sit, in the wee hours of the morning, finding that impulse shopping is much, much harder to resist on only a few hours sleep. This works to shop owners' advantages, but will undoubtedly result in me spending money I don't need to. Ah, the problems of a sleepy shopaholic.

This is especially problematic when faced with these incredible Kyzu Dolls. Haven't heard of them? Well, boy-oh-boy, I hope you're ready.

Natasha (and her daughter Kylee) are the creators of Kyzu Dolls. They are amazing little hybrid dolls- a mix of Waldorf doll techniques and fantasy inspired details. They have little ears and tails, personalities bigger than you can imagine, and heart to spare. 



Kyzu dolls were inspired by Kylee, who never had much interest in playing with regular dolls, but always seemed to be wearing a pair or ears and tail. She loves drawing and sculpting creatures and creates little fantasy worlds full of whimsy. 

Here's the kicker- Kyzu Dolls are made from all-natural materials. As Natasha explains, "The Head is rolled with wool and tied using Waldorf techniques. Then needle felted to bring out their own personalities before being covered and features embroidered with cotton. They are constructed with quality imported doll skin (Dewitt Engle and Laib Yala), stuffed with clean carded Eco wool, scented with Lavender, and some are weighted for a nice comforting feel. I use either wool blend yarn, locks, mohair weft, TLS, or mohair fabric for hair. For ears and tail we use mohair fabric and TLS."



Occasionally, Natasha finds herself making a human Kyzu doll or a fuzzy creature stuffed with premium polyfil. You know us crafters... We do what we want!



With these amazing dolls, it's hard to imagine Natasha could choose a favorite, but she did! She loves creating the Kyzu Runties, which are about nine inches tall and perfect for little hands and backpacks!



Natasha loves selling her creations because other people love what she makes. Her customers know they can trust what she's making them, as the dolls are made from all natural materials. No plastics or un-pronounceable chemical names make mommies and daddies happy people :)




When I asked Natasha what set her shop apart from others, she kindly placated my question, even though it's clearly an unnecessary one. Her answer is great and all- don't get me wrong- but I'm going to kind of ignore that for a second and focus here on what I find sets her shop apart: Every chance Natasha gets, she donates a doll to a kid who needs a buddy. There are far too many children in this world who need someone to love and support them, and Natasha sends them someone who will never leave their sides during tough times in their lives.


Kyzu Dolls, in a way, create themselves. Natasha never limits them by what "should" be, because anything can be. As the dolls are constructed, she lets them show her what details would be best, and she rolls with it. I frequently tell people this is how my tiny hats come to be, so I totally get this. Like, sooo get this.



Outside of crafting, Natasha loves photography. I guess creative minds never quit, eh?

Speaking of, all of these dolls Natasha makes are constructed late at night. If you're not personally a crafter, then you may not know that the hours between 10:00pm and 4:00am are magical, wonderful, serene hours. They are the hours where the most crafty productivity can take place, almost universally. 



"I got a great night of sleep last night!" said no crafter ever.

2 comments:

  1. I've been admiring these dolls for a while now! They are so unique and flat out adorable!!! I love, love, love that she donates to kid in need. It's just amazingly sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree!! I love how creative she is with what she does :) She's so sweet and I hope I can have a doll for myself one day!!

      Delete