Tuesday, June 3, 2014

BirchBox Review April 2014's Box


I received my first BirchBox in the mail 5/01/14 (signed up at the end of April). When I opened the mailbox to check the mail and I saw that pink box I squealed with joy. I love getting samples in the mail, so when I heard BirchBox will send you samples in the mail every month for $10, I was all over it. I’m one of those people who’s got multiple free sample sites in my favorites and hit them up daily. What I like most about BirchBox is that they send samples based on my preferences that I wouldn’t normally try out on my own.


This box’s theme was “Rainy Days” which is perfect for April (especially here where it rains from January until June). When I opened the box there was this cute little blue card that is #26 of 52 Bright Ideas for a Rainy Day: “Head online and shop for a new umbrella. That way you’ll be prepared for the next rainy day”. Good advice, but not for someone who works in Downtown where the wind will destroy your umbrella in 2.5 seconds flat. I took a peek at some of the other cards on the website and they have so many more great ideas not only to help with rainy day boredom, but also to help get you out of a rainy day funk if you’re feeling a little down due to the weather.



The samples I got for this month are: Suman Contrast Eye Pencil by Sumita beauty, a mini nail polish in "Breakfast at..." by Color Club, and a leave-in conditioner/detangler from Beauty Protector, a sample of the fragrance Yogini by Harvey Prince and a healthy grain bar by KIND.



I’m going to start with the Healthy Grain Bar by KIND. The flavor I got was maple pumpkin seeds with sea salt and it tasted a lot like the maple and brown sugar oatmeal with a hint of salt added in. I thought it was delicious. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and salty and doesn’t make you feel guilty because it’s actually good for you. All of the healthy grain bars by KIND are gluten and GMO free which is awesome because it’s getting harder and harder to find GMO free foods and a lot of people are having to cut gluten out of their diets. I really like that they added quinoa into their bars because it is so good for you but I have a heck of a time trying to get my son and husband to eat it. This way they don’t know it’s in there and they think they’re getting a sweet snack. Win-win all around!






The Suman Color Contrast Eye Pencil looks like any ordinary eyeliner but don’t let it fool you. This pencil glides on for easy application and when it dries it becomes smudge-proof. I’m not normally someone who wears eyeliner because I can never get the lines even and I always end up rubbing my eyes at some point in the day and wipe most of my eye makeup off. This stuff withstands all my eye rubbing. I was very shocked to see that I was still wearing eyeliner when I looked in the mirror after I got home. Usually I have a heck of a time trying to get the rest of my eyeliner off but this came right off with a little eye makeup remover. I will definitely be buying another when my sample runs out.



The mini nail polish by Color Club is called “Breakfast at…” which is a great name for it. The blue is very close to the color of that little blue box that everyone loves but it’s got this awesome gold sparkle to it. It sort of reminds me of a chameleon paint job on a car. At first I wasn’t sure of the color because I usually opt for pinks or reds on my nails, but this color has really grown on me. I have gotten so many compliments on the color. Another bonus is that this polish seems pretty durable. It took about a week before I saw any serious wear on my toes, on my fingers it chipped pretty much immediately. I will definitely be buying more of these in the future.


The leave-in conditioner/detangler by Beauty Protector is amazing. My hair is super curly, frizzy and unmanageable 95% of the time. With a few spritzes of this stuff, my hair was easy to brush and style. The best part is that when my hair dried I didn’t have all these crazy fly-away hairs sticking up all over my head like I usually do. My 3-year-old’s hair was feeling dry and he was starting to get a couple of dry patches on his scalp, so I gave him a couple of spritzes and his hair felt amazing when it dried. It was still soft after 2 washes and I noticed the dry spots were starting to clear up. I will definitely be buying the full size when my sample runs out.


And last but not least is the perfume “Yogini” by Harvey Prince. I personally didn’t like this perfume. It’s not that it doesn’t smell good (because it does), it’s just not my style. It reminds me if the Issey Miyaki fragrance “L’eau d’Issey” which my sister wears. She was really excited at the idea of having the same fragrance and only spending a fraction of the cost. Not good news for Issey but great news for us.


I’m looking forward to finding my May box sitting in the mailbox and will have reviews on those samples as well. If you’d like to sign up for a BirchBox, it’s only $10 a month and is personalized for you. Plus if you review your samples on their website, they’ll give you 10 points for each review. 100 points = $10 and most of their stuff comes with free shipping. Here’s a link if you want to sign up :) https://www.birchbox.com/invite/BeeBeeandJack

1 comment:

  1. just wanted to say thank you for the winning chance!!!

    ReplyDelete