Friday, January 30, 2015

Simplicity 1261- A Review


*This review is coming from my personal perspective. I have, so far, made two from this pattern in size Medium Adult/Teen. Both of mine were created without the ears, so that part of the process is omitted.*

First off, I hadn't used a paper pattern before this one in, geez, probably ten years. I thought I remembered pretty accurately what I was getting into, so I wasn't too nervous. If you've used lots of patterns before, don't even bother reading this. Just go buy the pattern, make it, and it'll turn out great.

If, however, you're looking into working with patterns as a newb or semi-newb, then please continue reading :)

So, the pieces for the Adult/Teen size are all mostly on one page and the kids sizes on another. The pocket is the only Adult/Teen piece that's on the kids' size paper. This helps keep the whole deal organized. 

When you're starting this project, press the pattern pieces with a warm iron for best results. Make sure to take proper measurements of the person who will be wearing the hoodie. If you don't know how to do that, this tutorial from Sew Mama Sew is great. 

Please please read all the way through the instructions before you start sewing (not just the ones pictured below, the ones inside the package). You might not need it for this pattern, but it's good to make a habit of it. You'll need anywhere from 1 to 3 1/2 yards of fabric, plus a liner for the hood.


I used fleece with a cotton liner, and overall, the pieces fit together very nicely. There are two issues I found using the Adult/Teen Medium pattern that need adjusting. First of all, the sleeves are huge. Not overly long, but just big around. Particularly, the sleeves closest to the wrist and the sleeve cuffs that are added. 

Secondly, the hood is, like, comically large. Ridiculously huge. It's comfortable and wearable and all, but it looks like it was designed to fit over a helmet. That's great if you want a coat for roller blading or whatever, but when that's not your intention, it's quite funny.





Overall, the instructions are easy to work with. When you get to attaching the sleeves, it won't tell you to do both sides, but you need to. I was getting so confused at first about why it didn't want the second sleeve sewn. It does, it just doesn't feel the need to say so.

I also don't really understand why the pocket goes on last. It seems to me that it would be much easier to attach the pocket to the front of the hoodie, then attach the bottom band. I haven't tried it this way yet, so don't quote me on that, but if you try it, let me know how it goes!!

Summary:

- Be sure to read all of the directions before you sew!
- Take measurements properly to ensure the best fit.
- Adjust hood and sleeves to your size

It's pretty simple! Give it a shot. If you do make one, tag @downwithplumes on Instagram so I can see!

No comments:

Post a Comment