Friday, January 16, 2015

Crispy Cheesy Chicken

Seriously, you guys? I made the yummiest chicken tonight. I had no plans of blogging my chicken, as it was planned to be just an average meal with nothing unique or special about it. But then... Disaster struck.

No bread crumbs. Profanities raced through my head while I stared into the cupboard. How could I have let this happen?? 

Re-plan the whole meal? Make boring, bread crumb-less chicken? I guess.... WAIT! No! I have Cheez Its! *Shake shake*... There's about three handfuls left. Maybe 30 crackers? That should work for a family of three?

Well, guess WHAT. It did. 

I crumbled up the crackers into a bowl, then added garlic powder, rosemary and parmesan cheese. I mixed it up and used it just like breading on the chicken. 

I didn't have the foresight to take photos of this before I added it to the chicken. This was what was left in the bowl after I had used it on the chicken pieces.

      Since the plan was rosemary and parmesan green beans with cheesy biscuits, I figured it would                                                                               work well.


Uncooked green beans

Fresh out of the oven green beans


Friends- let me tell you a secret. It worked. It worked oh-so-well. 

If you're looking for a healthy/gluten free/dairy free/all natural/locally grown/other food things meal, this is not your recipe. To be completely honest, if that's what you're looking for, I'm just not your girl.

Now, this idea was likely fueled by binge-watching Raising Hope on Netflix. She uses the crumbs (or "dust") from the bottom of cereal and chip bags for her casseroles. 

However, if you're a mother/busy lady/don't mind unhealthy meals once in a while, this is totally for you. The green beans are easy- clean them, add them into a baking dish, shake on some garlic powder and rosemary, then top with grated parmesan. Cook them in the oven on 400 for 20 minutes. *Note- If you like soft green beans, boil them first. These will come out relatively crisp. 

I used the Foster Farms Chicken Breast Tenders, because personally, I like the smaller cuts of chicken. They also cook faster, so #win. I coated the thawed chicken pieces in olive oil, then pressed them into the bowl of crackermagic. I cooked them for about 18 minutes at 400, right next to the green beans (in separate dishes, of course). 

Uncooked, coated chicken

Cooked chicken
It's really easy, quick and yummy! You can likely get everyone in the house to eat veggies if they've got a little cheese on top ;)

Here's the plate, ready to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment