Sunday, October 19, 2014

Adding Grips to Your Crochet Hooks

I’ve been noticing a lot lately that my hands are achy after I get done crocheting for a while. I’ve figured out that it’s because I’m gripping my hooks too tightly. Mostly because there’s nothing to hang onto so I hang onto that nothing for dear life.

I’ve seen so many awesome pictures of people baking clay onto their hooks, so I decided to give it a whirl.




What you need:
  •  Metal crochet hooks. If you don’t have a lot of clay, choose the ones you use most often
  • Oven bake clay – I used Sculpey’s Bake Shop brand
  • A strand of dental floss
  • Parchment paper
  • Cookie sheet






Step 1 - Cut off the amount of clay that you need from each block. It’s easiest if you take your dental floss and wrap it around your clay once where you want to cut it and then pull on the ends until it cuts all the way through. I then cut each of those pieces in half so I ended up with 6 even-ish pieces.






Step 2 – Take each piece and roll them out into  long skinny snakes that are approximately the same length.








Step 3 – Take 1 strand of each color, squish them together at the base and then start swirling them around each other so you end up with a long barber-pole snake.










Step 4 – Take your barber-pole snake and attach the smashed end to the bottom of your crochet hook and start twirling the clay around your hook. Make sure you don’t leave any gaps and that your clay hugs your hook tightly so it won’t slip off after it is baked.







Step 5 – Gently roll your covered hook like a snake, this ensures that your clay will stick to the hook and together.

Step 6 – Bake at 275° for 35-45 minutes. I originally checked my hooks at 35 minutes but they were still a little squishy, so I left them in for another 10 minutes.

Ta-da! Comfier hooks! They’re super easy to customize and I’d love to see your finished projects. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment